Sunday, February 14, 2010

The "Sublime" Star Trek?



In class on Monday February 1st, I suggested that the intro to Star Trek, the original television series, was a possible example of Longinus' notion of the "sublime." I think that this example was good in terms of being thought up "on the spot"; however, upon further analysis I can see definite flaws inherent in my idea. For example, as stated by a fellow student, the sublime is supposed to be rooted in reality and a science fiction show is not reality as we know it, though it may certainly be a metaphoric representation of reality or a commentary on that reality. I do think that the Star Trek intro employs "grand conceptions" with its dramatic presentation of "Space...the final frontier" along with the inspired emotion of "boldly [going] where no man has gone before," but these ideas are problematic in terms of identifying them with the sublime. The sublime is supposed to "speak to all people at all times" and I think that the Star Trek intro falls short of this rule. The idea of exploring an unknown "frontier" and making that frontier "known" can be read as a notion particular to Western culture. The Star Trek television show does operate favorably due to the absence of imperialism and conquest, yet the idea of venturing bravely into the unknown may not resonate with everyone. What seems more likely is that my idea is a direct product of the culture that I have been raised in. In other words, I may see "striking out into the unknown" as sublime simply because I have been taught that that sort of behavior is noble, though that same behavior may not operate in accordance with all cultures at all times.


Additionally, the statement "where no man has gone before" is, of course, problematic in terms of its implied sexism. After all, didn't Lieutenant Uhura go boldly forward as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment